When you apply for your California Liquor License, part of the approval process is the notification of the community around your proposed location. At times, concerned citizens, organizations, or public officials could protest your application.

If this happens, having an experienced advocate on your side to guide you through the process is invaluable.

The Protest Process

After an ABC application is filed, there is a 30-day period during which the public is notified that a California Liquor License application is pending for the location. In some instances, applications may be protested by neighbors, community groups such as churches, or by schools or other public officials.

In order to object to an application, the protesting party must submit their objection in writing within the specific time frame of 30 days. The 30 days begins with either the date of public posting, the date notification was mailed to residents, or the date public officials.

On occasion, if the protesting party is a public official such as a law enforcement agency, a 20-day extension can be requested. Timely received protests are deemed valid upon receipt. However, a protest by a private citizen must be reviewed by the ABC to determine if there are legal grounds for it.

Resolving a Tax Hold
on a California Liquor License

A tax hold on a California liquor license should be taken very seriously. A liquor license encumbered by a tax hold could be suspended until all taxes are paid. In addition, the license could be seized.

When transferring a liquor license with a tax hold, the taxes must be made current. Negotiating this process effectively is very important for a successful transaction and satisfaction of not only the parties involved, but the taxing agency as well. ABC Service has a great deal of experience with this type of situation and can assist you to solve it.

Please view the following video for more information.