Can Minors Work in an “Off-Site” Premises?

An “Off-Site” California liquor license allows you to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption off your premises.  This would include sales of beer six-packs, bottles of wine, and other assorted pre-packaged alcohol products.  Types of establishments falling into this category would be:

  • Grocery Stores
  • Convenience Stores
  • Warehouse and discount liquor stores
  • Drugstore chains where alcohol is sold

Minors CAN be employed at these types of establishments, but there are a few stringent guidelines.  Those employees age 18 or older can serve as cashiers or in other positions within the store and work unsupervised.  However, any employee under the age of 18 must be under constant supervision of someone who is 21 years of age or older if they are making an alcoholic beverage transaction.

For instance, if a seventeen year-old is hired as a grocery or convenience store clerk, he or she must be continually supervised by someone over the age of 21 as these types of stores typically see regular and consistent retail alcohol sales.  This may prove to be quite burdensome for a manager and could potentially lead to problems with the ABC.   For this reason, we always recommend that store owners and managers avoid this situation by only employing individuals age 18 or older for positions which require the direct sales of alcohol to customers.

Knowing the limits and restrictions of your alcohol license is critical for any business owner.  With over 80 different types of alcohol licenses in California, our goal is to provide the guidance you need to obtain and understand the proper license for your business.

The video below will provide more information.  Contact us at any time if you have questions.



Filed under: ABC licensee education

Leave A Comment

  • <strong>Amy Bergrud</strong>, Director of Finance, Malibu Estate/Surfrider, Sunset Marquis Hotel

    “ABC Consulting is a pleasure to work with... Mike and Rhonda are experts in their field and have helped us to get ABC licenses for our multiple locations."

    - Amy Bergrud, Director of Finance, Malibu Estate/Surfrider, Sunset Marquis Hotel
  • <strong>Harald Herrmann</strong>, President/CEO, Yard House Restaurants

    “The Alcoholic Beverage Consulting Service team have been instrumental in support of the growth and success of Yard House over the past 5 years.”

    - Harald Herrmann, President/CEO, Yard House Restaurants
  • <strong>Neal Pekala</strong>, Director of Legal Services, Hyatt Hotels

    "Your group provides me with right balance of what is important in picking a local counsel/consultant."

    - Neal Pekala, Director of Legal Services, Hyatt Hotels
  • <strong>John Maino</strong>, President, Ironfire Brewing Company

    “Alcoholic Beverage Consulting relieved all the stress of filling out and filing of our alcohol licenses with the ABC and TTB, allowing us to focus on what we do best."

    - John Maino, President, Ironfire Brewing Company
  • <strong>Dianne Scott</strong>, Director of Corporate Relations, BJ’s Restaurants, Inc.

    “I have been working with Mike Brewer and his team for over 16 years and find everyone consistently responsive, reliable and willing to go above and beyond."

    - Dianne Scott, Director of Corporate Relations, BJ’s Restaurants, Inc.