Without proper representation, it can be difficult to obtain a liquor license in the state of California. The process is lengthy and you can be denied. What are some of the reasons that the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control ABC will deny the request of a liquor license?
- Falsification of application
- Disqualifying police record
- Record of chronic insobriety
- Not the true owner of the establishment
- Not at least 21 years of age
- Premises is not suitable
Under #6, “premises not suitable” would include the following:
- Too close to a school, church, hospital, playground, nonprofit youth facility or residence and would disturb the facility or resident
- Located in a high-crime area and does not serve public convenience or necessity
- The applicant does not have legal tenancy
- The license would create a public nuisance
- Zoning is improper for alcohol sales
Additionally, license conditions are special restrictions placed on a liquor license. Conditions may limit the hours of alcohol sales, the type of entertainment allowed or other aspects of the business.
For more information, visit http://www.abc.ca.gov.